Sunday 12 July 2015

Rotary Club of Maleny Bulletin for 15th July 2015

"THE RANGE"  Vol. 57 No. 2
WEDNESDAY 15th July 2015

THIS WEEK'S MEETING
Maleny Hotel at 6:30 for 7:00pm with Guest Speaker Kelly Tilse and Father on Weddings at Tiffany’s.

APOLOGIES
Apologies to Bernice before noon on Tuesday.

DUTY ROSTERS
                           15th Jul                    5th Aug           
                   
Duty Officer      Lionel T                  Michael G                 
Assist DO         Keith R                   Sherryl G                    
Registration      Malcolm B             John McL     
Fellowship        Andy S                   Bernice Mcl        
 
SAUSAGE SIZZLE ROSTER
18 July
Michael and Sherryl G (Leader)   Phillip S

1 August
John and Bernice McL (Leader)   Lionel T

TERRY LEE RIP
Those members who knew him will have been saddened to hear of his recent death in Maleny Hospital.  Terry was a member of our Club in the late 1980's.  The Club expresses its condolences to his family.

MEETING OF 1ST JULY
Meeting opened at 7pm by President Jeff Cornfoot.

Immediate Past President Ric Townsend gave the following report:
a.Men’s Shed Sign is up.
b.Men’s Shed to negotiate with church about their lease. A 20x9 slab to be built.
c.Member Donna's Bag Project; 4-6 entries have been received to judged by 15/7/2015 with results known by 31/7/2015.

Director Lionel Tilley Report:
a.Spoke about Rotary Calendars. Advised that 92 photo entries received in total. 13 entries were accepted by judges for final calendar.
b.Rotary Foundation Meeting 12/7/2015 –St Columban’s College Caboolture.

Director Chris Brooker Report:
Parking attendees for Muscle on the Mountain needed. 5 members volunteered.

Treasurer Jim Atkinson introduced Guest Speaker Rachael Lockman whose presentation was ‘Get Active’.

Good evening ladies and gentlemen, my name is Rachel Lockman.  I would firstly like to thank you for your invite and for giving me the opportunity to speak to you about my business ‘Get Active’ Fitness and Personal Training.  I am a personal trainer with a certificate IV in fitness.  I do one on one personal training and group fitness.   I run personal training programs specially tailored to clients’ needs and individual lifestyle and goals.  The group fitness is a great social, cost effective, fun way to get fit that still gives great results. You start to get a feeling of family with the people at the group fitness and they bounce off each other and encourage each other with their goals and their achievements and help push each other that bit further with a bit of friendly fun competition.  I help people achieve their goals in a safe and professional manner; I make your goals become my goals.

I first started my own fitness mission when my son was 7 months. I, like a lot of other Mothers, had post baby weight on me and was under the false assumption that I was reasonably fit because I did a lot of walking.  I got a slap in the face with the reality of how unfit I really was after I did my first proper workout; I was so sore and stiff for days after. I pushed through the pain and just kept going until I became very addicted to the whole lifestyle. I love being fit and healthy myself and I wanted to help others to feel the same.  Being fit and healthy helps with all aspects of your life - sleep, work, parenting even depression and other health issues.  So I decided to get the qualifications to do just that. I love seeing how happy it makes people to see the scales going down, to fit into old clothes they thought they would never get into again, to start sleeping better, to be able to play with their children and to be able to physically do things that they previously couldn’t.  Basically I love the feeling it gives me to see people achieve their goals and change their lifestyle.
 
I know what it feels like to not be able to just do what you want when you want due to health issues.  I was previously diagnosed with unexplained nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsy. I never knew when I was going to wake up and be told ‘Its OK Rach, you’ve just had another seizure.  The ambulance is on its way’. I lost my job, my licence and my feeling of general safety and freedom.  I was stuck in this place for 7 to 8 years never knowing when I was going to have another seizure and not knowing why I was even having them.  Every time I would have one, I couldn’t eat properly from a sore tongue from biting it and had a drumming foggy headache for days after.  When the doctors eventually found the medication to help me, I was sceptical but very excited at the idea of having a normal life again. After 3 months of being seizure free I could see hope to be able think about the future and what I wanted to do with It, not just get through another day. I wanted to put 110% into every venture that I had from then on particularly my health, and since doing just that I have so much more energy, I feel better and am happier overall. I got the reality of the saying life is too short; if there is something you want to do, Just Do It.

I started off with my own health goals and it turned into a passion and an addiction, and I am healthier, happier and fitter than I ever have been in my life. So I wanted to share my knowledge and help other people turn their lives around.  I have been running ‘Get Active’ for nearly a year now and have had many success stories already; one was a local lady that had her daughter’s wedding coming up in 3 months and she said she really wanted to lose a couple of kilos because she wanted to feel OK in a dress she have had put aside for her baby's wedding.  I did personal training with her and she also attended group training. She lost 6kg by the wedding and felt amazing, and had to get the dress taken in because it ended up being too big on her.  I got a text message from her on the day saying thank you over and over again and that she felt so good about herself and that everyone keeps telling her she looks amazing; she said she hasn’t been that fit and healthy since she was a teenager.  It put a big smile on my face and I said this is why I am doing this, I love my job.

I have many ideas for the future of ‘Get Active’ Fitness, one of them being a kids after school fun and affordable boot camp. Only 25% of children meet the recommended level of activity outside school hours. Obesity in children is becoming just a normal thing in our day and a large health issue.  It would also improve children’s general fitness and ability with any extra curriculum sports that they might already do. I am also going to start studying to get a certificate in advanced nutrition and diet, because nutrition is a huge part of being fit and healthy.

I want to continue to learn more, study further and I want to achieve my own goals, one of them being running a successful business in a town that I grew up in and love and in an industry that I love. I want to be a good influence on my children and for them to be able to be proud to call me their Mamma. I can’t emphasis enough the importance of taking care of your health and having goals in life and writing them down, so they don’t just become ‘dreams’.

Life’s too short so Just Do It!  

Member Alan Wilson thanked the guest speaker.

President Jeff Cornfoot advised there was a Board Meeting next week and the meeting closed at 8.30pm.

MUSCLE ON THE MOUNTAIN
A thank you to Chris and his team of volunteers for their car parking efforts at this event.  Our normally ebullient and cheerful sergeant's bonhommie was sorely tested by some attendees as his subsequent note to his team shows.  This is reproduced below without permission.

"I once was of the mistaken belief that when I stopped working for a living, I somehow stopped work....today disproved that idea once and for all !!

Apart from that little rant, thoroughly enjoyed myself today, did all my walking for the day, even some aerobics with the arm pointing. Heard of one bloke who was photographing all the Show Cars, he was up to 649 and still had two rows to go.

Congratulations and thanks to all our team who had some trying circumstances (some d@#kwit parked across the gate to the SES area, motor bikes parked across the front of croquet and a huge empty space behind them), but still managed to overcome any adversities. I’ll have another yarn to Col and once again ask that we be included in any post-event discussions".

FUTURE MEETINGS & EVENTS
22nd July
Project Meeting at the Masonic Hall with $10 meal.

29th July
Vocational visit TBC.

5th August
Maleny Hotel at 6:30 for 7:00pm with Guest Speaker Brody Foy on Rhodes Scholarship.

12th August
Board Meeting at the Masonic Hall.

19th August
Maleny Hotel at 6:30 for 7:00pm with Guest Speaker Sabine Wienand on Basically Wild.

12&13th September
Parking duties at Real Food Festival.

BIRTHDAYS FOR JULY
11th Jacinta Townsend  20th Beth Wann

NOW FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT
A WARNING FROM OUR IT ADVISER

This virus is inevitable, unstoppable, if you don't have it yet, you will ....

 

He thought you would want to know about this e-mail virus.  Even the most advanced programs from Norton or McAfee cannot take care of this one.  It appears to affect those more who were born prior to 1950.


Symptoms:

1. Causes you to send the same e-mail twice.  Done that!

2. Causes you to send a blank e-mail!  That too!

3. Causes you to send e-mail to the wrong person.  Yep!

4. Causes you to send it back to the person who sent it to you.  Aha!

5. Causes you to forget to attach the attachment.  Well darn!

6. Causes you to hit "SEND" before you've finished.  Oh no - not again!

7. Causes you to hit "DELETE" instead of "SEND."  And I just hate that!

8. Causes you to hit "SEND" when you should "DELETE."  Oh No!

IT IS CALLED THE "C-NILE VIRUS."

PS Have I already sent this to you?

Or did you send it to me?


No comments:

Post a Comment