THIS WEEK’S MEETING
Maleny Hotel at 6:30pm for 7:00pm with Guest Speaker our own Debra Lynde on "My involvement with youth" plus a special presentation from PDG Eric Wood.
Please tender meal apologies to Karen Binstead by noon Tuesday.
7th Sep 14th Sep 21 Sep
Duty Officer Brian D Rick V Angela G
Registration Debra L John McL Chris B
ADO & Scribe Lionel T Bernice McL Roly N
Fellowship Greg S Karen B John W
SAUSAGE SIZZLE ROSTER
Greg Stevens Brian Doyle Dave Edmonds Charlotte Golding
To be gazetted
LAST WEEK’S MEETING
Karen called for team members for the Relay for Life team for the October event.
Chris B talked about progress with the lookout on Maleny-Landsborough Road - as well as advertising the upcoming RSL Scottish Night Friday 2 September. Calls were made for the Bike Education program at Maleny next week.
Mike G gave a TRF report – Foundation Seminar 6 November, St Columban’s College. The Annual Programs Fund and polio fundraiser was set for 19 October.
Brian King introduced the new Interact Treasurer and gave a report on the Science Experience. He said the
DG Carolyn addressed the club and quoted her favourite Rotary saying: “Rotary gives ordinary people opportunities to achieve and see extraordinary things”. Carolyn then proceeded to describe some of the experiences she and Egon had on their official visit last month to Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands and Nauru.
• Port Moresby - where they had lunch with the acting Prime Minister.
• Mt Hagen where they were taken on a 2 1/2 hour drive out of Hagen where peace talks were happening between warring tribes.
• Goroka – a bumpy journey in a police vehicle from Mt Hagen after trouble with airlines.
• Madang – they visited a Centre for the Deaf where sewing machines from DIK provided a great self-help project for women. Also visited a school for the blind and hospitals.
• Kokopo – where the amazing President Arlu Stephenson has almost all members of her family as members of her club. They visited a hospital which had been painted by the club and featured cartoon characters around the walls for the children’s ward and bible stories in adult wards.
• Bulolo – a 4 hour drive from Lae – met the 2 members Brian and Andrew who are the stalwarts of this small club. The community has been severely affected by ethnic cleansing activities and many families are living under makeshift tarpaulins which are in need of replacement.
• Gizo – Carolyn described a hospital built with Japanese aid which will require a lot of resources to have it up and running.
• Nauru- Carolyn inducted 3 Honorary members and visited the phosphate mine.
FUTURE MEETINGS & EVENTS
5th to 9th Sep Bike Ed at Maleny postponed for 1 week.
10th Sep Working Bee at Mary Cairncross Park at 8:30am.
12th to 16th Sep Bike Ed at Maleny State School. Volunteers to contact Chris B PLEASE.
14th Sep Maleny Hotel with Guest Speaker Chelsea Large on "Adventure in citizenship."
21st Sep Maleny Hotel with Guest Speaker our own John Whan on "A humble wood worker".
BIRTHDAYS FOR SEPTEMBER
18th Annie S 29th Mia S
WEDDING ANNIVERSARIES FOR SEPTEMBER
4th John and Bernice 18th Andy and Mia 28th Keith and Gloria
Interesting Year 2005
1. Prince Charles got married.
2. Liverpool crowned soccer Champions of Europe.
3. Australia lost the Ashes.
4. The Pope died.