"THE RANGE" The Rotary Club of Maleny Inc Bulletin Vol. 53 No. 12
THIS WEEK’S MEETING
Maleny Hotel at 6:30pm for 7:00pm for a Club Forum. Concise Oxford Dictionary defines forum as a market place or a place of assembly for judicial and other business.
Please tender meal apologies to Karen Binstead by noon Tuesday.
21 Sep 28 Sep 5 Oct
Duty Officer Angela G Bill H Sherry W
Registration Chris B Tony H Brian K
ADO & Scribe Roly N Rick V Keith R
Fellowship John W Jeff C Geoff C
SAUSAGE SIZZLE ROSTER
Rick Vickers (Leader) Bill Hankinson Karen Binstead Lionel Tilley
Michael Gregory (Leader) Sherryl Gregory Ric Townsend Greg Stevens
LAST WEEK’S MEETING
President G announced that Ric T had been invited to join the Board as International Director and that Charlotte G had kindly agreed to look after Vocational Service.
Jeff C reported on the financial situation which will return to normal when the funds are received from Splendour in the Grass.
Chris B, emulating Pooh Ba from The Mikado,reported that:
- Town seats…Lionel will organise working bee via email when ready.
- Howells Knob Gazebo…Jim will organise working bee via email when ready. Council has given permission for work to proceed. Jim will tell you the story over a beer.
- Landsborough/Maleny Rd Lookout…Have contacted Andrew Powell's office to establish responsibility. May be a joint Council/MRD grey area. Have requested Andrew Powell's office supply name of contact within MRD for us to talk with.
- Calendar…Sales commenced.
- Christmas Carols…joint venture with RSL and Maleny Singers due in December this year. Quite successful last year even with torrential rain.
- Maleny Precinct…May take up to 6 years before anything substantial there.
- Relay for Life…8/9th October. Club has donated $1000 to sponsor a Rotary team. Believe all names of starters are in.
- Melbourne Cup sweep…Brian Allen to organise on his return.
- Sunshine Coast Riding for Disabled…Received letter requesting support for purchase of 24 acres for $530,000 at North Arm. Advised we couldn’t assist at
- St Vincent de Paul Society, Maleny…Received letter from Jack Wilcox requesting financial and hands-on support for two projects.
A >> Elderly couple trying to remain in house which is approaching being uninhabitable.
B >> Single mum trying to pay off mortgage and remain in house which requires some TLC.
Agreed to $500 per project to purchase material and asked that Jack approach Apex to be main organiser of project work and to contact us when help required.
- Mary Cairncross 70th Anniversary…8th October. Assistance with BBQ from 11ish. MC Committee and/or Council to supply all requirements and we supply BBQ, gas and volunteers.
- Maleny State School Centenary..April 2012. Committee formed within P & C but this is a huge undertaking and they will require help. Brian to arrange for Rick Page (Pres P & C) to be guest speaker at some stage to inform us of assistance required. To be hands-on, not monetary.
This was followed by a mercifully brief pickpocketing session from the Sergeant.
Fran had an opportunity to visit the Solomon Islands in 2005 and saw for herself the limited resources available for the children in the school library at a school in Honiara. She set about sourcing school books and other equipment to transport to the school through the Rotary Donation in Kind program. Fran saw an opportunity to become involved with youth, and has been a great mentor for the Interact students which is demonstrated by the respect shown to her from the students both at school and out in the wider community.
We are truly fortunate to have Fran working at the local school.
Chelsea Large, a year eleven student at Maleny High School, was introduced by Brian King. She spoke of her experience during the Rotary Adventure in Citizenship week in Canberra. Chelsea visited Parliament House, The Australian War Memorial, Australian Institute of Sport, and travelled to Duntroon on the Canberra Raiders Bus.
The experience has improved her confidence and social skills. She is to be congratulated on her election as the Interact Representative on the District Interact Club.
FUTURE MEETINGS & EVENTS
28th Sep Maleny Hotel with RYPEN as the topic.
5th Oct Maleny Hotel with John Whan talking on "A humble wood worker."
8th Oct BBQ at Mary Cairncross Park for their 70th anniversary.
8/9th Oct Relay for Life.
BIRTHDAYS FOR SEPTEMBER
18th Annie S 29th Mia S
WEDDING ANNIVERSARIES FOR SEPTEMBER
4th John and Bernice 18th Andy and Mia 28th Keith and Gloria
NOW FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT
FROM A PASSING GERONTOLOGIST
ONE FOR THE LADIES.
AND ONE FOR THE BLOKES